Tuesday, June 24, 2008

An Interview with Travis . . . .

Well, I figured since Travis is feeling better, everyone would like to hear from him for a change. I typed up some questions that I thought you might ask if you visited with him for a few minutes.

So, here it goes:

1. You have been home almost 3 weeks now, how are you feeling?
Mentally, I'm great. There is nothing better than being home with my family. Physically, I am still sore from the incisions and the J-tube.

2. Now that the hospital stay is a little bit more in the past, do you think you can talk about it?
I was there too long. The nurses were the best and I'll never forget them. Being there that long I seen people die, it really changes your perspective on living.

3. What was the most challenging part of those long 2 months?
Losing my independence. You can't even stand up without help because of all the tubes, IV's and equipment.

4. Was there anything good that came out of it?
I have a totally different outlook on life.

5. Did you get sick of the same old 3 faces showing up in your room everyday for 65 days?
No, it was hard enough being there, but being there alone would have been awful.

6. After your surgery, what’s been the hardest thing for you?
Building up strength, I lost all muscle tone and stamina.

7. Can we go back to the beginning – how did this cancer crap start?
September 2007, I had trouble swallowing food, with pain in my chest and became nauseous. In October, had an endoscopy that found a cancerous tumor and the journey began.

8. So, as you look in the future a little bit, do you have any big plans?
I don't have big plans, but I treat everyday as a gift. I don't make long term plans.

9. What about work? You want to go back on Monday are you looking forward to it?
Yes, I'm at the point where I need to get my body back into daily routines.

10. So, after all that you’ve been through what’s your philosophy about life’s up’s and down’s? Why do you think this happened? Where do you go from here?
I have never taken my cancer too serious because it would drive me crazy. When I get down I remember that I would rather have cancer than anyone in my family or any child. Life is exactly that, up's and down's, so enjoy with all your soul the up's.

11. And lastly, what’s gotten you through it all?
My loving wife and family. God and I have become very close, we talk daily.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Angie said...

I think you just like us to cry when we read your blog. Last answer got me the most. Fabulous idea on the interview. Do I have to start calling you Karianne Couric? Love the song, and that is my all-time fave scripture. Good luck at work this week Trav!

Lyndee said...

I have never taken my cancer too serious because it would drive me crazy. When I get down I remember that I would rather have cancer than anyone in my family or any child

You have been an inspiration to all of us. I agree with Ang, I think you just like to see us cry. Good luck at work. Take it easy. We love you guys!!

Brooke Kap said...

Travis it's your cousin Brooke. I have been reading Karianne's blog and getting updates on you from my dad every chance I get. I am so glad that you are home and doing good. You both are so strong and an inspiration to us all. I was so moved by your responses I just wanted to say hi and that I love ya! I hope to see you soon.

Ashley said...

Thats awesome! Good to hear from Travis

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! So nice to hear from Trav's point of view. I am so happy you are home and getting better.