Friday, June 6, 2008

Home is Where His Heart Is

Day 65 - We finally got the great news that Travis was well enough to be discharged from the hospital. We had spent most of the week celebrating each step to coming home. His swallow test on Monday was fantastic, our doctor followed Travis into the room and all the nurses in the ICU gathered around and cheered for him. His NG (nose tube) was removed on Monday, and his chest tube on Tuesday. He started drinking clear liquids and then gradually started with the thicker drinks like milk and the dreaded Ensure. It was also great to see Travis walking the halls without the walker.

On Thursday afternoon, we went for a walk and came back to a decorated room. The nurses had quickly blown up balloons using the oxygen pump and hung streamers. We also received a special card signed by everyone wishing us well. They were all outstanding doctors and nurses and quickly became our friends. They told us they were happy to see us go, but sad that they wouldn't get to visit with us any longer. We are excited to get the surgery chapter of this journey mostly behind us. Things that Travis will not miss would be the daily pokes in the finger for blood work, blood pressure checks and the long nights, just to name a few. I know I won't miss the daily 66 mile round trip to SLC and the rising gas prices!

In the next few months, Travis will be getting his calories and protein from the tube feedings at night, along with a liquid and soft food diet. His doctor would like to see him back in August to remove the stent to be followed by another swallow test to make sure that the leak has healed. We have yet to talk to Trav's oncologist to see if further chemotherapy and radiation is necessary.

For right now, we are settling into a routine again. Focusing on getting Travis healthy again. And looking forward to the future.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm crying now! Welcome home Trav!

Lyndee said...

I have to say I couldn't wait to come home and post on this!! Welcome Home, Trav!! I was reading this at work crying and so grateful that he is finally home. Kar, you are not going to know what to do when you don't have to drive to SLC daily!! I am so happy for you guys. Love the picture of you guys at home!!

Angie said...

I'm also crying...wailing is more like it. I have seriously dreamed of this post for two months now. Congratulations on being home! The family picture alone gives me chills and a big sigh of relief. Cute deco from the nurses. Who wouldn't love Trav?
Great song pick and perfect quote once again. My heart is swelling for you guys!! When you guys do that big group hug, be sure to invite me so I can take pics and make people cry some more.

Carrie said...

I'm so happy for you guys! That family picture IS enough to make a person shed a tear- even someone like me who is know to have have a heart of stone and who cries about 3 times a year. :)

Mamma K. said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for all of you. Karianne-you are my hero, staying positive and never giving up hope. Travis is so lucky to have you!
PS: I'll bet your doctor is one happy dude today - I'm sure he's been through H_ _ _ too!

Ashley said...

YAY!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!

D. brandon said...

Hello Kariann, Travis and family we are glad that you are all back under the same roof where you belong. glad to hear things are looking up we will all have to get together for another BBQ. we found some good 4-wheeling trails so we will have to go rideing sometime. the brandons